The auction was held online and in the Bruneau & Co. gallery located at 63 Fourth Avenue in Cranston. "It was a phenomenal sale," remarked company president Kevin Bruneau. "While the inhouse crowd was limited due to the virus pandemic, online and phone participation was more active than ever before. It was great to see the contemporary art perform as strongly as it did."
The watercolor by Maqbool Hussain, titled Raging Horse, depicted a leaping white horse with its mouth open, draped with a green saddle blanket and carrying a flag with the image of a sun. The work was signed in Hindi in the lower right corner and had a sheet size of 22 inches by 30 inches, minus frame. Hussain is often referred to as the "Picasso of India."
The oil painting signed by B. Prabha, titled Woman with a Pear Basket, showed an Indian woman with her hair tied back and long limbs supporting a basket of fruit. The canvas was 22 inches by 16 inches. Prabha entered the art world when few Indian women were involved professionally, and worked on over 50 exhibitions, inside and outside of India.
The auction's list of top earners was not limited to India. An Impressionist harbor etching by James Abbott McNeill Whistler (Mass./U.K/France,1834-1903), depicting sailing vessels out at sea, signed by the artist with a monogram in image and in pencil in the lower right margin, just 5 inches by 6 ¾ inches, rose to $8,750. Whistler painted Whistler's Mother.
More on eMusic Wire
- Christian single hitting music platforms highlights work of changemakers
- Avoiding the 17a-4 Quagmire - AdvisorVault's Guide for Small FINRA Firms
- Small Professor - A Jawn Supreme (Vol. 2)
- Hit Songs Deconstructed releases Mid-Year 2020 hit song trend report The State of the Hot 100 Top 10
- Eric Bopp Announces He's Running for Judge
An Impressionist coastline seascape by the 19th century American artist Chas. Turner, depicting large waves crashing over a rocky coast with sailboats and seagulls in the background, changed hands for $8,125. The oil on canvas work, measuring 14 inches by 20 inches, less the frame, was artist signed and came out of a Pawtucket, R.I. collection.
A 19th century English School Realist rendering of a prize bull and heifer standing in a pasture, dated 1862, knocked down for $6,875. The animals were identified as "Ayrshire Lad" and "Miss Morton" within the image, which was 20 inches by 30 inches. The work was signed with a monogrammed "MW" and dated "July/62" in the lower left corner.
"What a thrill it was auctioneering the prize bull painting and Turner seascape," said Travis Landry, a Bruneau & Co. specialist and auctioneer. "It's always nice when there are a few splendid surprises. The market proved strong during uneasy times. It truly was a great day."
Following are additional highlights from the auction. Internet bidding was facilitated by bidLIVE.Bruneauandco.com, LiveAuctioneers.com, Bidsquare.com and Invaluable.com, and the mobile app 'Bruneau & Co.' on iTunes and GooglePlay. All prices include the buyer's premium.
A large Macchia art glass vase by the renowned American glass sculptor Dale Chihuly (b. 1941), organic folded form with earth tone brown and green splatter over a cream ground with yellow rim, 12 ¾ inches in height, went for $6,250. The vase was signed and dated "Chihuly 1982" on the bottom. Chihuly is well known for his extravagant glass sculptures displayed in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and at Chihuly Garden and Glass, Seattle.
More on eMusic Wire
- ITSMA Announces Finalists for the 2020 Marketing Excellence Awards
- Independent DIY Artist Oliver Sean hits the iTunes UK Top 10 Bestselling Pre-Orders Charts
- FRE$HNE$$ by Moe Betta @MBettaMusic
- Tom Urquhart, Ph.D., joins IOTech Systems as SVP of Professional Services
- CEO Coaching International Client, StoneAge Inc., Acquires Breadware, A Leader in Industrial IOT Product Development
A contemporary watercolor on paper portrait painting by Akbar Padamsee (Indian,1928-2020), depicting the face of a somber gentleman in soft sepia tones, commanded $6,250. The 22 inch by 15 inch (sheet) work was signed and dated "Padamsee 06" in the upper right corner. Padamsee was known for painting, film making, sculpture, photography and printmaking and is considered today to be one of the pioneers in modern Indian painting.
Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers has two auctions coming fast on the heels of this one. The first is an online-only camera extravaganza sale slated for Saturday, March 28th, with bidding on several platforms. 600-plus vintage camera lots will be sold to the highest bidder without reserve. An originally planned live-only pre-sale event will be rescheduled later as a stand-alone auction.
Then, on Saturday, April 4th, a Spring Comic Book & Toy Auction will be held, by Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers, Altered Reality Entertainment and Travis Landry, Bruneau & Co.'s Director of Pop Culture, starting at 11 am Eastern time, live in the gallery and online. Featured will be comic books and a great collection of tin key-wind, friction and battery-op Japanese robots and tin toys.
To learn more about Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers and the firm's calendar of upcoming events, please visit www.bruneauandco.com. Updates are posted frequently. To contact the company via e-mail, use firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can phone them at (401) 533-9980.
About Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers:
From its beginning, Bruneau & Co. has been partnered with Altered Reality Entertainment, parent company of Rhode Island Comic Con in organizing toy, comic, and collectible auctions bringing Pop Culture to a live auction environment. Our focus on emerging markets extends to contemporary and urban art, modern design, and Asian arts. At Bruneau & Co. we are an ever-changing company. For more information, please visit www.bruneauandco.com.
Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers
63 Fourth Avenue
Cranston, RI 02910 USA
Latest on eMusic Wire
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- AutoQuotes And UL Announce Strategic Partnership
- NACCE and Bridge for Billions Team Up to Offer "The Leap" to Community College Entrepreneurs Across the Nation
- Fix My Practice Launches to Tackle Poor-Quality Health and Social Care Pandemic
- Legacy Park Sports Launches GoDog GameStream To Live Stream Baseball and Softball Tournaments
- Onlive Server Launched UK VPS Server Hosting Service with Hypervisor KVM Cloud Panel and SSD Storage
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe
- Online Music Instruction Available to Clarinetists Young and Old
- New MOVE3®: NEM® + Fish Oil Omega Combo Study Confirms Fast Efficacy in Pain & Stiffness Treatment in Healthy Adults
- After cameo in Snoop Dogg and Suga Free video, indie recording artist sets sights on movie music
- Sanitizing Equipment Donation Empowers Workforce Innovation Hub at City of Refuge
- AC Hotel by Marriott Tokyo Ginza Opened July 9, 2020
- Last Minute Hotel Deals – Which Places Offer the Biggest Price Reductions Due to Coronavirus?
- TTS 2020 Virtual Congress: Leading Global Experts Convene Online In A Transformative Meeting
- Dental Innovations LLC publishes "The Financial Survival Guide for Dentists!"
- Secret Walls Academy X Silverstreetz
- RL Bell, America's Got Talent Alum, Releases New Original Single, "Delilah"
- Gift Giveaways The New Marketing Solution
- MBK Senior Living Names 7 Pursuit of Excellence Award Winners
- Velocity Data Announces Agreement to Acquire NuBreed Nutrition Inc