The auction's top lot – Daughters' Taos Homestead – was pulled from the estate of a Tennessee physician, a collection that heavily featured contemporary scenes from the American Southwest. At $19,680, the 20 inch by 24 inch canvas sailed past its $8,000- $12,000 estimate and captured the stark contrasts in light between the buildings, the surrounding mountains and the distant sky.
The other Daughters' painting, titled Ranchos Chapel, Taos, was a more intimate piece, with a view of a chapel and its path with the surrounding landscape in near darkness. The work, housed in a 28 inch by 31 ½ inch frame, sold for $15,990.
The auction, which brought together collections and estates both private as well as corporate, contained items at a variety of price levels. "The sale came together in a wonderful way," said Neue Auctions managing partner Cynthia Maciejewski. "With a mixture of modern and contemporary art, this provided us with an opportunity to reach some new buyers."
More than 20 paintings by John Nieto (Tex., N.M., 1936-2018), another painter heavily influenced by the Southwest, came up for bid. Nieto's work employs vibrant primary colors to capture the people and wildlife of the American Southwest. His acrylic on canvas titled Deer Dancer, portraying a Native American, 42 inches by 31½ inches (framed) sold for $10,455, over two times the estimate. Another piece by Nieto, a diminutive (22 inches by 17 ½ inches framed) acrylic on canvas showing howling wolves titled Lunar Duet (Wolfs), brought $5,412.
More on eMusic Wire
- Darrell Kelley's "The Coronavirus" Sounding A Warning And Sharing Suggestions
- Sweet James Offers Employees Emergency Relief and Help with Medical Bills
- Symplast Announced as Platinum Vendor of the American Med Spa Association; to Present Educational Webinar on Telehealth to all Society Members
- Maestro International Cargo handles sixteen COVID-19 charters in March including three pharma-only charters totaling 200 metric tons
- Reduced prices for mental health support during the difficulty and unknowns of Coronavirus
Sunset Thunderhead by Bill Gallen (N.M., Co., Wi., b. 1958) rounded out the Southwestern inspired portion of the event. The work, measuring 27 inches by 31 inches framed, used oil on linen mounted on Masonite. In the piece, Gallen saturated the Southwestern landscape with color, highlighting the clouds as they rolled over the landscape.
Following are additional highlights from the auction. Online bidding was facilitated by LiveAuctioneers.com, Invaluable.com and Bidsquare.com. All prices quoted include a 23 percent buyer's premium.
Bidders eager for a pop of color were not confined to the American Southwest. Vase De Fleurs dans une Interieur, a lively still life by Jean-Jules Louis Cavailles (French, 1901-1977), sold for $6,765. The oil on canvas work, measuring 35 ½ inches by 29 inches, will now reside in its new home in foggy London town. Another still life, this one by Cleveland born artist Bob Paul Kane (1937-2013), 33 ½ inches by 49 ½ inches framed, titled Still Life at Breakfast with Yellow Chair, sold for $3,198.
A Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881-1973) linocut grappled with Daughters' Taos Homestead for top billing; both sold for $19,680. Toros Vallauris, a black and orange Picasso print, portrayed a bullfighter and was signed by the artist in red crayon. The 1958 linocut came from a Cleveland interior designer's collection and was housed in a 35 ½ inch by 29 ½ inch frame.
Screen prints in colors performed well in the event. Bridget Riley's (British b. 1931) Elapse, was featured in the Print Club of Cleveland edition no. 60 for 1982. The framed piece depicting multi-colored vertical waves measured 46 ½ inches by 31 ½ inches. Monica in Robe with Motherwell by Tom Wesselmann (American, 1931-2004), a sizable screen print weighing in at 51 ½ inches by 60 ½ inches framed, portrayed a woman loosely robed in repose. Both works by Riley and Wesselmann earned $9,225.
More on eMusic Wire
- HoloBuilder Welcomes Takenaka Corporation to Their Innovators Club
- The Town Kitchen, PBC launches TTK Provisions to Serve Youth-Crafted, Locally Sourced Food and Essentials to Households in SF Bay Area
- ChainUP Wallet Solution Explained by HiCoin Co-Founder, MingYuan Wang
- The World's First Inflatable Sleeping Bag
- Humanity First USA Medical Supplies Needed
Neue Auctions' next sale is scheduled for Saturday, March 21st. The online-only Decorative Arts & Antiques auction will feature ceramics, glass and art glass, silver, Asian works of art, jewelry and carpets, beginning at 10 am Eastern. Nearly 300 lots will come up for bid, mostly sourced from midwestern and Cleveland estates and collections.
To learn more about Neue Auctions and the firm's calendar of upcoming events, please visit www.neueauctions.com. Updates are posted frequently.
About Neue Auctions:
Neue Auctions provides a bespoke experience for sellers and buyers, with all items presented fully guaranteed and vetted, and combines regular online auctions with selected art exhibitions and educational opportunities. Offering consignment services for single items or entire estates, Neue Auctions gladly assists clients in the complicated process of settling estates and general downsizing, working with private individuals, as well as trusts, estates, banks and attorneys. In addition, Neue Auctions continues the long-standing history and tradition of art collecting in Cleveland by bringing fine works of art to the market for sale, encouraging both the current and next generation of collectors. Neue Auctions is always accepting consignments for future sales. To inquire about consigning a single piece, an estate or a collection, you may call Cynthia Maciejewski at 216-245-6707; or, you can send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit www.neueauctions.com.
23533 Mercantile Rd. Suite 119
Beachwood, OH 44122 USA
Latest on eMusic Wire
- North Austin Music Therapy creates solutions to continue serving clients and the community throughout the greater Austin area during the coronavirus
- Expanded Line of Laboratory Products for COVID-19 Testing Labs Available in New Interactive Flip Page Catalog
- After VBN, You Will Want More Masiah and Pusha Preme Collabs!!
- American Equus and Saddlebox Join Forces for North American Distribution
- Qnext achieves Microsoft Application Development Silver Partner competency
- Animated Series "The Weeklings" Burns Up The Multi-Media Universe
- REAL Trends 500 Report Ranks Nation's Largest Real Firms
- A "Sweet Chill" is streaming through Music Platforms
- Colorado: Hot Single by Steve Zelik
- March 25th 2020 is National Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day
- International DJ and Television Personality Traci Steele Announces Girls Club All Female DJ Live Dance Party Celebrating Women's History Month
- Scottsdale Phiharmonic offers viewing of free concert video in place of live concert
- Screen, Quarantine and Monitor with MedWand's™ New, Cutting-Edge Telemedicine Kit: Mobile SQM DOC
- Double XXPosure Media Partners With UK-based Artist Platform Jamma, Presents Artist Sayonne
- New Organization Affects Positive Change In The Midst Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
- Whitley Manufacturing Awarded For Recent Modular (MRI) Healthcare Facility Project
- Taleam Systems To Hire 1,000 Online IT Technicians To Help Meet Covid-19 Demand
- Paintings by Noted Indian Artists Pique Bidder Interest at Bruneau & Co. Auction Held March 14th
- CloudHuaz LLC Announces the Immediate Ability to Build Medical Facilities, Shelters and Other Dwellings Needed For Current US Crisis
- StealthMail Helps Businesses Secure Email Communication During Remote Work Caused by COVID‑19